Sunday, November 13, 2011

Enjoying NYC with good friends


and my New York adventure continues......................
Friday morning, wakeup, look outside to check on the weather....
is that craft services at the bottom of my steps, is that a camera truck? ... oh yes, they were shooting one of my favourite shows "The Good Wife" in a church on my street.Ahh..... New York...
Friday evenings are free at lots of the museums so I braved MOMA. Get in, grab a free ticket and take a deep breathe! It's very crowded- but an incredible place. I took in as much as I could and loved the QR app. You scan the code of the art you love and you can get more info. Great way to remember things that grabbed your attention. 
The "talk to me" video exhibits are great.
a couple of my favorite pieces...
http://www.moma.org/interactives/exhibitions/2011/talktome/objects/146401/
http://www.moma.org/interactives/exhibitions/2011/talktome/objects/146213/
have look and see what else is in the exhibit
http://www.moma.org/interactives/exhibitions/2011/talktome/objects/
I also found my "quiet and peaceful" place. The Monet exhibit on the top floor ... Just before closing..Perfect.
New York is a big city, and can be overwhelming some days... so... it's time to do some normal day to day things.
Saturday morning..quick stop at the bank... Super friendly and now I'm off to buy some fresh veggies and do the weekly shop.. This was never as exciting at home.  I went in search of a store called "Three guys from Brooklyn" Their shop has a great story behind it and it does great Deals on fresh food- plus weekly specials and a loyalty card!!! Never has grocery shopping been so exciting. At first it's slightly annoying not having a Sainsbury's / Tesco's on every corner but it means you have to explore! 
Thinking of things to cook for our Thanksgiving lunch at work ... I'm thinking apple pie and maybe butternut squash mash!! 
It was a Beautiful fresh sunny day in Brooklyn. Mary and Steve were in town and we went to explore central Park....Big Bird, Ghostbusters buildings, the new york marathon finish line....


After a quick dance on the BIG piano in FAO Schwartz we finished off with "red velvet" magnolia bakery cupcakes in Bloomingdales.

It was then time to continue my art weekend, tonight was the Guggenheim.. "pay what you want" from 5:45-8pm and it was the first day of an incredible exhibition by Maurizio Cattelen. Imagine a giant mobile hanging down the centre of the museum with pieces of work such as a giant taxidermied horse, JFK in a coffin and Hitler as a boy. A must see if you're visiting NY before January.
http://www.guggenheim.org/new-york/exhibitions/on-view/maurizio-cattelan-all

Sunday morning arrived and it's no ordinary sunday, as I was about to pop to the launderette I realized I couldn't cross the street as 47,000 people were running down it, how amazing, the NY marathon route goes past my street. An incredible atmosphere. I found the gospel singers outside the church and cheered the runners on in a fabulous way.



This week has been very New York.. party hard, everyday..
Monday was a farewell dinner with Mary & Steve at the Tavern on Jane. On route i bumped into a friend i worked with in LA who was in town, cut to tuesday night dinner in Alphabet City with lovely people. Fantastic fresh food and a great atmosphere. No reservations, get there before 7pm and enjoy..
http://www.northernspyfoodco.com/
wednesday I drank far to much red with with work colleagues... phew it is the weekend yet!!!!!! 
Spent Friday night winding down listening Mark Ronson's show on to East Village Radio....a great find... don't worry seeksmusic.com, i was listening to you as well.
http://www.eastvillageradio.com/
And just when I think I can start relaxing... Toby calls me from JFK, he's in town. 1 hr later we are starting the night off in the Brooklyn Arms followed by my first trip to GreenPoint & Williamsburg. Great company, far to may cocktails and the Boardwalk Empire lot.
check out Toby's online magazine... http://www.arbuturian.com
"i'm just a teenage dirtbag is the song of the moment" :) ROCK AND ROLL...
love AnnieT in NYC xx

No comments:

Post a Comment